Costa Rica Entry Requirements COVID-19
For information on visas, refer to the General Directorate of Migration and Foreigners: https://www.migracion.go.cr/Paginas/Visas.aspx
The following requirements remain during the pandemic:
1) Valid Passport / Return Ticket
- You must have a current valid passport valid for a minimum of one day from the day you enter Costa Rica
- A return ticket to exit Costa Rica within 90 days is required
- US and Canadian nationals do not require an entry visa to Costa Rica
2) Health Insurance
*** NOTE ***
Starting August 1st, 2021, if you have been fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior to entering Costa Rica, you will not be required to have insurance.
- It is mandatory that all tourists have health insurance, covering their medical expenses due to COVID-19 illness and accommodations in case of quarantine
- An explanation of one’s travel insurance coverage, addressing Costa Rica’s requirements, must be uploaded or entered into the HEALTH PASS in order to be reviewed and approved by the Costa Rican authorities
International InsuranceIf you have International Insurance from your insurance provider, you must request from you insurer a certification issued in English or Spanish, noting the following three conditions:
- Validity of the policy during the visit in Costa Rica
- Guarantee of coverage for medical expenses in cases of pandemic disease COVID-19 in Costa Rica, for at least US $50,000
- Minimum coverage of US $2,000 for extended lodging expenses due to pandemic illness or trip interruption/cancellation due to illness, which covers the extra cost of the passenger due to quarantine
- International insurance that meets all the requirements for entry Costa Rica can be purchased at any of the following links:
National InsuranceIf you do not have international insurance, it is available from Costa Rican companies approved by SUGESE (General Superintendency of Insurance of Costa Rica).
- National insurances meet all the requirements to have coverage of medical expenses for illness, including COVID-19, for a minimum amount of $20,000 and coverage for extended lodging expenses or quarantine, due to pandemic illness, for a minimum amount of $2,000.
- National insurance can be purchased at the following links:
3) Online Health Pass Form
- Complete the HEALTH PASS available at https://salud.go.cr
- It must be accessed in an updated browser (except for Internet Explorer).
- This pass will be available 48 hours before boarding.
- An individual form must be completed for every person, including minors.